Building Permit

Permit Application
Any structure to be built or structurally altered requires a building permit. Outbuildings larger than 8 feet by 10 feet, such as detached garages or storage buildings, also require a building permit.

Residential examples requiring a building permit include home or garage construction, porch (wood or concrete), deck, room additions, and roof line changes.

Residential structural alterations requiring a building permit include moving walls, moving or adding a doorway or window, or changing the width of any of these that require a new support header. Replacement windows do not require a permit. Do not touch any area around a meter until you contact the City Line Department. For remote meters, contact the City Utlity  Department before touching.

If in doubt about whether your work requires a building permit, please call Bob Johnston at the City Building and Zoning Office at 419-468-2642.

Retain your building permit during the entire construction or alteration process. Post it in a window visible from the street.

If your proposed activity does not conform to the zoning ordinance, you may submit an appeal for a variance to the Galion Board of Zoning Appeals secretary, Natasha Hatfield at 301 Harding Way East, Galion, Ohio 44833.



Inspections needed:
  • Footer (prior to pouring footer, placing poles or for trailer pads)
  • Rough-In (before insulation or walls are covered)
  • Final (upon completion, but before use or occupancy)
Note: It is your responsibility to call the city Building and Zoning Office at 419-468-2642 to arrange inspections at least 48 hours before footer and rough-in inspection is needed and at least 7 days before final inspection is needed.


Call Building and Zoning Department at 419-468-2642 for building permit fees.

Required for a Permit

  • Construction Plan
  • Site Plan
  • Material List

Other Permits You May Need